Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Speed bump number one

Speed bump number one! It has come! Unfortunately, this first speed bump is one that's a pretty big pain. To sum it up: I was unaware it takes so long to set up an appointment for a passport. That's it. I didn't know. In order for ILP to get my visa so I can go to China, they need my passport. And to get my passport, I need an appointment. And to get an appointment… I need to wait two weeks. Two weeks might not sound like a lot, but when you're leaving in thirteen weeks, two weeks matter.

The way to a passport is weird. I think it's a little silly. First, you call the post office. The post office then tell you to call a random 1-800 number to set up an appointment. But the 1-800 people take a long time to call you back. When they do call you back, they tell you there's no appointments for two weeks, so, call the post office back! It's so silly! The DMV is not a prime example of efficiency, but at least they have a online appointment making system. Oh, and post offices close at three. What time did the 1-800 people call me back to tell me to call the post office again? Exactly three twenty one. That was frustrating. I called the passport agency in San Diego, (an hour away) but they were not super helpful on their whole system is automated on the phone. You press numbers on the key pad to make an appointment. Let's just say it's more confusing than talking to a person. 

So. How will I overcome this roadblock/speed bump/challenge? Calling the post office, weird 1-800 number, and passport as many times as I need to in order to get this passport as soon as possible. I can do it! It just might be a pain. But I know that going to China is in no way going to be easy, and it's not supposed to be. Passports, visas, weird food, rowdy kids to teach, long days, and long nights will all be part of it. But it's all part of the adventure because after all, I'm not just a tourist. 

No comments:

Post a Comment