Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Crazy Decision

I've made a bit of a crazy decision.  How crazy?  Well, I'm not flying to the moon, but it might seem like it.  I will be flying to the land of no Facebook, no Google, no Instagram, and no religion.

I'm moving to China! 

I will be living there for four months, and I am thrilled!  Thrilled, and really, really scared.  I have had mixed reactions from everyone I have told.  Everyone I have spoken to has said it sounds great, but many have also thought it was a little crazy.  I wonder why. . . I have received some fun reactions of shock, and disbelieving from a few.  I guess its surprising when someone casually walks up to you and announces "I'm moving to China!" 

Before you think my parents are crazy for sending me to China, don't worry. I am going with a reputable program, that I would consider a "Service Abroad".  The program is call the International Language Program (ilp).  This is a program that sends volunteers to countries across the world to teach English to children of all ages. A great aspect of the program is that when you're not teaching, you can go on trips throughout the country you are in!  That means weekends and holidays, I will be traveling China.  China is huge, but I am excited to explore.

This program was founded by BYU students who had done study abroad programs, but wanted to be more involved in the country they were visiting, immerse themselves in the culture, and to give back to the country they were visiting.  In other words, to go as a traveler, a teacher, and not just a tourist.


1 comment:

  1. I learned a new term while out hiking. Tourons - It is ca combination of Tourists and Morons. You know, those people on a 10 mile hike without water or the ten essentials. The ones the probably are most likely to get a helicopter ride out. Yes, those people.

    ReplyDelete